Sunday, May 13, 2012

Monster Patch Tutorial

Want a cute patch like this? Read more for the tutorial:
So, one of Greyson's friends "ripped" (aka cut) her pants at school a couple of weeks ago and I offered to patch them up for her because I thought it was about time I did a tutorial on the monster patch. Here is a close-up of the hole I was working with:
Yikes. First I picked a fabric to use as the background (the mouth)... I used pink cotton because I figured it would stretch with the pants. Then I used Heat'n Bond to make some rounded teeth on white corduroy and ironed them onto my strip of pink. If you're not familiar with Heat'n Bond you MUST try it. It's this cool adhesive that allows you to take any fabric and make it into a patch to be ironed on to another piece of fabric. I use it all the time to create shirts for my business (more on this in another tutorial). Here is what the pink strip looked like with the teeth before I sewed them into place:
After I hand-stitched the white teeth onto the pink fabric I added two strips of Heat'n Bond to the top and bottom of my patch to make it easier to adhere them to the inside of the pants:
Then I turned the pants inside-out, ironed the patch into place:
  And hand-stitched it around both the hole in the pants and the outer edge of the patch:
Now my monster had it's teeth:
But it needed some eyes! So, I ironed some more Heat'n Bond onto my white fabric, cut out two circles, gave them eyeballs with black fabric marker and adhered them to the pants just above the mouth. I also added a silver crown to jazz it up a little, and voila, Princess Monster Patch was born:
I should also note that I meant to give her eyelashes too but totally forgot... thank goodness Greyson's friend's mommy had a black fabric marker and did it herself. It's too bad there aren't any photos because they look adorable! I do have pictures of Maisie modeling them so you can get a good idea of just how cute the patch is:
Maisie was super bummed to find out that they weren't actually for her so I'm thinking that I may have to "rip" some for her to have in the fall!

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! My boys have ripped lots of PJ pants. I will try your method. Thank you very much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete