Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fun DIY Behavior Chart

Sometimes my perfect (cough, cough) children get a little out of hand and need a reminder on how humans (aka NOT spider monkeys) should probably behave in order to not have their parents blow a gasket. I find that using this chart helps them remember. It was so easy to make! I used an old whiteboard that we had in the playroom and Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers. I have to admit that I am not completely in love with the design but I really can't complain because in half an hour it was ready to go! I let each kid pick a bird magnet (purchased at The Container Store) and explained  the "rules." Your bird starts in the middle (on the fifth heart from the bottom) and goes up or down depending on behavior. When you get to the top heart, you get to pick a reward but if your bird gets to the bottom heart you have to give us something you REALLY, REALLY love for as many days as you are old. We have been doing it for many, many months now and the rewards have varied (we usually give them a few choices and are open to reasonable suggestions) but we have only had to take something away ONCE (and the child in question chose one of their most precious loveys to go without... very sad). The kids love the chart and feel really good when their bird goes up and understand when it goes down. It gives them a real tangible feeling of ownership over their actions AND it was easy to make. Win-win if you want my opinion!!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen it in "action" and it's very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! We do a ticket system and that is awesome too. I make them hand their tickets to the cashier at Target when they get their "reward". The 2 year old loves it!

    ReplyDelete